There were cheers of joy Tuesday morning at the makeshift camp of Occupy Edmonton protestors in downtown Edmonton.
Melcor, a land development company that owns the property protesters laid ground at, is letting the demonstrators keep their tents set up in its private park at 102nd Street and Jasper Avenue.
The president and CEO of Melcor says, so long as Occupy Edmonton is treating the downtown property with respect, those involved in the protest can stay. Ralph Young says there was never a set deadline given to the protesters to move on from the area. Young says there’s certain criteria the company has asked Occupy Edmonton to follow, and so far, so good.
“Firstly, that they handle this whole situation very safely, they handle the property with respect, and that they handle anything that they’re doing in a peaceful manner,” he says.
Young says he doesn’t expect the occupation to go on indefinitely, adding that things will be reviewed on a day-by-day basis.
In the meantime, Chelsea Taylor with Occupy Edmonton says, for now, they don’t need to worry about police moving in to break things up.
“Nobody is getting arrested today!”, exclaims Taylor. “We’re going to go back into full camp mode. We will have food and water tents, hot coffee, tea, (and) we’re going to be having some art bills and another general assembly this evening (Tuesday) for people to drop by.
“It is a very exciting time to be in the camp. We’re here for another day, we’re here for tomorrow, for the overnight, and we will be looking forward to more updates from our liaison.”
Taylor says they are planning a demonstration Wednesday at noon at Petroleum Plaza. They are also preparing for another big rally on Saturday.
Read Original Article HERE