- meet and greet
- overview of procedures (hand out)
- reimbursing expenses
- 165$ current stat, more info on Saturday.
- Low finances
- OWS will match/refund funds upon personal contribution
- Wepay account still inaccessible.
- Notebook seized by police
- Keep in mind when proposing actions that finances are mega low!
- We hope to be as independent as poss from the OWS funds.
- Q: ppl still re-imbursed, but keep in mind there is low dollah! Concern about winter blankets/sleeping bags
- Q: Electricity money?
Issues with Mandel
Ppl on city council willing to give back $
(PROP: everyone stand when speaking)
– talk about amplifying voices
- mic check on LRT
- good reception (public)
- daily routine, targeting rush hour 4/5 pm.
- Potluck: weekly potluck + movie screening @downtown library
Sound + Music
- PROP: 600-1000$ throwing fundraising concert
- 2-3 weeks: occupy yule-tide party
- venues- artery, bohemia (size and cost questionable)
- wants interested ppl to join in conversation/planning
- Need: volunteers, decorating, door, floaters, postering, radio ad, kitchen, communications, graphic design,
- Inviting local talent to get involved, ppl involved with oc.ed can show talent
(update: raised $70 from table fundraising during GA by passing a hat around)
- Bill and Nigel picked up lots of stuff from police. Its at the greenpeace warehouse- volunteers needed to clear out the warehouse, salvage and recycle accordingly.
- Ppl need to pick up their own tents
- Sunday: truck available, need LOTS of ppl to help out.
- 10407 64th avenue 1pm Sunday, 4th.
- Group ride available? 1 car offered, will be sorted out over emails/fb
- $3000 tent was damaged, the flaps were cut, not untied.
- Industrial sewing machine? Possible to repair
- Post to fb group to sort out rideshares for Sunday
- Thursday: greenpeace warehouse (?? Anna)
- wg for newspaper no longer needed
Human rights commission
- Jack-jack: complaint in process for two years: On Monday—occupy lobby of ex-employer.
- Organization: OSP, across from park on north end of high level
- Q: put the occupy movement behind ppl who are being screwed over by over-arching systems.
Occupy squats: get behind ppl for support
- After last GA, wg met up: actions being planned, ppl homeless because of their involvement with occupy.
- Ppl on AISH— missing meetings because of involvement
- Writing letters to agencies who deal with homeless related issues
- More help needed in this initiative
- Q: what does help entail?
- writing letters to agencies (homeless initiative) to urge them to help those who were homeless and having meetings with them.
- Q: what does help entail?
- The march and rally : 80 ppl showed up to do the rally, gave speeches, banner drop (CBC coverage online, metro paper), march towards u of a, led onto the bridge proper, not the lanes, consensus made that it was the best decision. Mic check on far end of bridge, first GA held at U of A
- Mic check at police hq, all on tape- available online.
- amy and marty bottom lining
Q: new member at GA, following the movement…. Concerned that ppl are losing interest, the talk is dying off, proposal on how to bring back the hype?
-discussion on this topic
- online discussions: fb, twitter, etc
off topic, Jenika tries to reel it in!
- more discussion
Q: show respect for new comers and their in-put. Explanation that things off agenda items aren’t fully discussed… ways of getting things on agenda.
- Email overload is overwhelming
- PROP: email postings go to appropriate group-serves, not used as chat-room, forum on the website needs to be used, NOT google groups.
- Other ways of communicating off of email (ie: camper group)— wondering if the camper group should stay online or off
- PROP: mic checks everyday at 4:30, central LRT: re-camping ppl can meet at the same time to discuss. (info going on fb)
- Carolyn: need as many edmo’s as possible!
-Need a GA that WELCOMES ppl who’ve had no previous involvement
-Media release: it’s not a movement of leaders, but of bottom liners
- Individual commitment, accountability- a forum for others to get involved
- ex: sign on windows
- wants a starter GA specifically for B-L’rs to get this structure in place.
- Space to hold this GA?
- one before x-mas, next one in the new year
- (PROP to have banner making sesh to raise funds for movement. Signs for windows of supporters)
- GA @ wem. (use mic check? Could also draw more ppl in) (sound stage @hmv- could be a good location- may have to book the stage, but should be free)
- against mall because: centralize at uni’s- convenient for students who we want on board, great ideas from students.
- GA: alternate between uni’s
- PROP: steady time/space for GA, too much changing can make it difficult to get ppl to come all the time.
- Grant mac students can book auditoriums for GA’s
- carolyn available over email for future discussion
- Q: are we talking about one GA or multiple?
- Time to wrap up conversation
- WEM: ppl busy consuming—better place for an action, not a discussion.
- Time limit on discussions? Yes. 5 minutes per proposal.
PROP: derbin climate agreements upcoming- Canada threatening to block them. Day of action based on this- Saturday or Monday?
- Monday- enbridge office: funding ppl to block these agreements
- Saturday- more people available
- Anna or mike hudema bottom lining
- Help appreciated
- Action?- not worked out yet.
- Q: consensus not needed to design actions- “build it and they will come” mentality
- Posters are expensive
- PROP: action committee comes up with action and come back with a full proposal.
- December 17th, Saturday, 4pm.
- Adbusters idea
- 20 santa’s, walk from east side of wem to west side of wem- as a march- have a mic check in main food court.
- Santa suits are expensive- how can we make cheap costumes?
- Burning man: santa-con… ask these ppl for costumes, also could do elf costumes.
- Public attention!
- camp working group: proposal to give them a deadline to come up with a plan, then propose at GA. Two week deadline.
PROP: spot camps, pop-up camps, write a letter to edmo’s: communicating, starting conversations, offer services for action (what do the ppl want?)
- set up camp in random places for one night stands, have security for people who are willing to camp.
- Empower whomever wants to to occupy spaces in the community, randomly.
- Q: we should try not to attract police/eviction. Concern about tickets, damaged gear etc. PROP: occupy legal spaces where we avoid police
Gordon: notes from edmo’s to other occupy Canada cities between here and Windsor (Winnipeg, London, Windsor). Will be at next GA, indicate on your note which camp you want to address.
- Found teepee pegs left over- wants to symbolically give the pegs to other occupies
- PROP: pegs should be smudged with sweet grass or sage before being passed on
- Input on it?
- Extra resources?
- Online copy, + printed copies
- Contact: Jennifer roach
- Keep camping info on the pamphlet?
Patrick: strategic planning group
- community values and intentions: incorporate a code of ethics/ codex.
- Copies passed around to look at
- Can be looked at again in future GA, give ppl a chance to go over it.
- Clarifying processes and foster more unity amongst group
- Friends and neighbours policy + possible commune rules.
- Prop this to be on the next GA as first point. Doc will go up online.
- newspaper/pamphlet? Pamphlet is cheaper and more easily made.
- Media concerns: in-adequate or biased coverage. Generates bad publicity.
- Sign up for this working group: we don’t need one- as a select group of ppl writing risks losing the voices of the many.
- Wikipedia: open source, open edit, user generated
- PROP: Sunday-Friday, open the article so anyone can edit. On Saturday, there is a 24 hr frozen period. Everyone can look over the draft of (all) the articles. Vote on articles that are incomplete/need more work. Articles that are ready can go into final edit and then finalized to go online, printable as ppl see fit, etc.
- Q: ppl without internet?
- Q: what does ‘article’ mean?: media responses, explanations of what we are doing, basically- it’s a wiki page.
- Q: pamphlets available for ppl doing the mic checks in LRT stations, can handbill
- Q: “you can’t evict an idea”: PR specialists who are experts on evicting ideas. Reading of article: “not that most of the occupiers are worried about libraries and pensions, they don’t read”
- Q: can’t trust mainstream media- rarely properly represented.
- Q: occupy chat rooms, proper/more effective methods of communication. PROP: wg to occupy chat rooms.
- Q: who is bottom lining websites? How to manage trolls?
- VUE, CJSR… they do respectfully report.
- US over Canadian law: make your own version of newspaper and distro. Canada does not have supportive laws regarding this.
- Q: how can we add to media without propaganda-ing?
- Q: alt media, represent!
- Move this subject on to working group. Email list going out
- PROP: always stay anonymous, never give your real or full name.
PROP: more comm. Via letters to the editor.
PROP: discussion happen AFTER GA (via wg)
- several members experiencing homelessness
- Amy is bottom lining this
- Need homes for ppl in rough times
Co-op//commune: homelessness & social work
- homeless intake
- laundry/washing schedule
- party rules
- property ownership
- join wg to add to discussions
- re-state mo’s point about writing letters to city officials regarding homeless issues
- need volunteers to liason with social workers etc.
- “the organice box”-
- rep couchsurfing.org!
CSA Edmonton- groceries.
Q: occupy movement is not a homeless shelter: it’s not a free ride, ppl should be contributing in some way for the return. In-ability to manage those risks and situations.
New camp: major meeting to hash out everything, issues must be dealt with, concerns with homeless involvement can be precedented.
FB admins/occupy website
Meeting @ 1 on Sunday via skype: organize articles, pages, limit watery info and have solid resources
This wg want to run meeting via skype
Those without skype can be conferenced in
Q: greenpeace warehouse is at same time, can we change the time?
- 5pm on Sunday?
Solidarity with Calgary
- last GA: visit from Calgary
- The camp from yyc needs help with winterization. PROP: can we send items to help them out?
- What can we send out in the meantime?
- Q: Someppl going down to Calgary on the weekend to help out—re: tents: we don’t know the state of our own equipment, we don’t know what we have to feasibly offer. We can’t commit to anything until our end is dealt with.
- POP: do they have ppl able to repair our damaged equip?
- How would we get the stuff down? Send down on greyhound.
- How helpful is ‘stuff’?
- PROP: can we put this decision off until we’ve assessed our material, and visited yyc to see exactly what they need help with and whether we can help them.
- PROP: next ga should give a full dicussion on re-formatting GA
- Q: action on the weekend- GA should happen after
Thursday @ 6:30 at grant mac cafeteria.