Feb
26

Solidarity March

MARCH OF SOLIDARITY TOMORROW!! Make sure you come out and show solidarity with Occupy Worldwide!! 5:30 pm, Melcor Pk. We are marching to the legislature where we will have a candle light vigil :) Bring candles/lighters/flashlights/cellphones! See you there!!

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/solidarity-march/

Feb
20

Action Alert – Nick Driedger phase two

Where is nick driedger phase two

On the day that Occupy Edmonton in cooperation with U of A students attempted to protest high fees and tuition increases on campus but were blocked by police, a postal worker and CUPW shop steward, drove by and honked his horn in support of the students and Occupy.

The postal worker who honked his horn has been terminated from work. His termination was based on four prejudiced reasons: 1) “attitude” to police (even though he stopped honking his horn when asked), 2) a ticket for “stunting” in a vehicle (honking his horn), 3) being out of his delivery area, and 4) activity on a wildcat strike when he was on vacation.

In reality, Nick Dreidger is being targeted by Canada Post Corporation management for his participation in effective union activity that has forced CPC to recognize fundamental rights of workers to health and safety.

The plan for Monday night feb 20th until Thursday feb 24th is to fill Canada Post Corporation’s managers’ email inboxes with letters of outrage over the conduct of firing this worker based on these flimsy charges. This kind of pressure on employers has won workers their jobs back in many cases and we can do it for Nick Dreidger.

Thank you, solidarity, and let’s fight to win. An injury to one is an injury to all.
This is phase2

Target emails:

AZAM BACCHUS
• Title: OFFICER LABOUR RELATIONS
• Reports To: JEEWAN SACHDEV
• Workgroup: HR LAB REL MGR WPG WEST
• Location: 12135 – 149TH STREET NW, T5L 5H2
EDMONTON AB T5L 5H2
• Email: azam.bacchus@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (780) 945-2600×53127

JEEWAN SACHDEV
• Title: MGR LABOUR RELATIONS PRAIRIES
• Reports To: ROBERT MCCULLAGH
• Workgroup: HR LAB REL MGR WPG WEST
• Location: – 6001 – 266 GRAHAM AVENUE, R3C 0K2
WINNIPEG MB R3C 0K2
• Email: jeewanr.sachdev@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (204) 987-5000×75710

ROBERT MCCULLAGH
• Title: DIR LABOUR RELATIONS
• Reports To: BRUNO CADIEUX
• Workgroup: HR LR FIELD DIR HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DR – SUITE N0070, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: robg.mccullagh@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (613) 734-7215

BRUNO CADIEUX
• Title: GM LR PHYSICAL DEL NETWORK
• Reports To: ANN THERESE MACEACHERN
• Workgroup: HR LR PHYSICAL DEL NETWORK GM HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DR – SUITE N0070, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: bruno.cadieux@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (613) 734-6279

ANN THERESE MACEACHERN
• Title: VP HUMAN RESOURCES
• Reports To: ANDRE JORON
• Workgroup: HR VP HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DR – SUITE N1200, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: ann-therese.maceachern@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (613) 734-6517

ANDRE JORON
• Title: CHIEF HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER
• Reports To: DEEPAK CHOPRA
• Workgroup: CHIEF HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DR – SUITE N1200, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: ANDRE.JORON@CANADAPOST.CA
• Office: (613) 734-4000

DEEPAK CHOPRA
• Title: PRESIDENT & C. E. O.
• Workgroup: PRES & CEO HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DR – SUITE N1250, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: DEEPAK.CHOPRA@CANADAPOST.CA
• Office: (613) 734-8440

Letter of support for nick driedger
WESAM HAYMOUR
• Title: SPT TRANSPORTATION
• Reports To: BRENDA YOUNG
• Workgroup: MSC EDM S2 TRNS SPT WEST
• Location: 9808 103 A AVE, T5J 2T6
EDMONTON AB T5J 2T6
• Email: wesam.haymour@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (780) 945-2670

BRENDA YOUNG
• Title: MGR SHIFT
• Reports To: CURRENTLY VACANT – ROLL UP PLANT OPS
• Workgroup: OPS MPP EDM HUB MGR WEST
• Location: 12135 149 ST, T5L 5H2
EDMONTON AB T5L 5H2
• Email: brenda.young@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (780) 944-3333×43080

ROBERT MCCUTCHEON *(Away until March 2)
• Title: DIR PLANT OPERATIONS
• Reports To: MICHAEL SHEARON
• Workgroup: OPS MPP EDM DIR WEST
• Location: 12135 – 149TH STREET NW, T5L 5H2
EDMONTON AB T5L 5H2
• Email: ben.mccutcheon@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (780) 945-2600×53225

DOUGLAS SINCLAIR
• Title: MGR SHIFT
• Reports To: CURRENTLY VACANT – ROLL UP PLANT OPS
• Workgroup: OPS MPP EDM S2 MGR WEST
• Location: 12135 149 ST NW, T5L 5H2
EDMONTON AB T5L 5H2
• Email: Douglas.Sinclair@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (780) 945-2600×53294

MICHAEL SHEARON
• Title: GM PLANTS WEST
• Reports To: BRIAN WILSON
• Workgroup: OPS PLANT GM WEST
• Location: 349 GEORGIA ST W BOX 2110 – STN TERMINAL, V6B 4Z3
VANCOUVER BC V6B 4Z3
• Email: mike.shearon@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (604) 662-1606×21375

BRIAN WILSON
• Title: VP MAIL PROCESSING AND NETWORK
• Reports To: CALVIN HART
• Workgroup: OPS MAIL PROC AND NETWORK VP HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DRIVE – SUITE N0140, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: brianm.wilson@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (613) 734-9625

CALVIN HART
• Title: SVP PROCESSING ENG INFRASTRUCTURE
• Reports To: JACQUES COTE
• Workgroup: OPS PROC ENG INFRASTRUCTURE SVP HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DRIVE – N1200, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: cal.hart@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (613) 734-4312

JACQUES COTE
• Title: GROUP PRESIDENT PHYSICAL DELIVERY
• Reports To: DEEPAK CHOPRA
• Workgroup: PHYSICAL DELIVERY GP HO
• Location: 2701 RIVERSIDE DR – SUITE N1200, K1A 0B1
OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
• Email: jacques.cote@canadapost.postescanada.ca
• Office: (613) 734-6215

Here are all the email address so that you can easily copy and paste them in to your email.

azam.bacchus@canadapost.postescanada.ca, jeewanr.sachdev@canadapost.postescanada.ca, robg.mccullagh@canadapost.postescanada.ca, bruno.cadieux@canadapost.postescanada.ca, ann-therese.maceachern@canadapost.postescanada.ca, ANDRE.JORON@CANADAPOST.CA,DEEPAK.CHOPRA@CANADAPOST.CA, wesam.haymour@canadapost.postescanada.ca, brenda.young@canadapost.postescanada.ca, ben.mccutcheon@canadapost.postescanada.ca, Douglas.Sinclair@canadapost.postescanada.ca, mike.shearon@canadapost.postescanada.ca, brianm.wilson@canadapost.postescanada.ca, cal.hart@canadapost.postescanada.ca,jacques.cote@canadapost.postescanada.ca

Here is the letter:

Dear ________________

I am writing out of concern over the recent treatment of Shop Steward Nick Driedger, who has recently been dismissed. It is my understanding that Mr Nick Driedger advances the welfare and safety of his fellow workers in this role. It is hard to believe that someone as honest, positive, and hard working as Nick should be dismissed, especially in light of the charge discussed below.

Mr Nick Driedger has been accused of stunting, a charge of which he has not been found guilty. According to eyewitness testimony, he was merely honking his horn, which could only make him more visible as he drove through an area with many police and protestors. Also, according to eyewitnesses, he ceased after hearing shouting from the officers in question. The eyewitness testimony in his favour is substantial, and it is disturbing that Canada Post Corporation would find Nick Driedger guilty in advance of the verdict of a court of law.

I, ____________________ request that Nick Driedger be reinstated as a full time mail service courier with no harm to his seniority. I also request that any targeting of him due to his activities as a CUPW shop steward come to an immediate end.

I am including my phone number below. Please contact me with further information on Mr. Driedger’s status. If I do not receive a response within five business days, I will contact my Member of Parliament for further information on this matter.

Thanks in advance for your diligent response,

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/action-alert-nick-driedger-phase-two/

Feb
20

General Assembly Minutes – February 18, 2012

General Assembly
February 18th, 2012

Agenda
Updates
May Day
Finance
WCB
Nestle
March of Solidarity
Kirk’s cleaning party
Greater Edmonton Food
Other

Proposals
Media and communications issue discussion
Discuss GA process for the new faces at the meeting

Introductions

Updates
May Day (NAME) – May 1, 2012 – Occupy be present in solidarity with all groups there; but not organizing it
NAMES will be willing to go to the May Day meetings with all groups participating
Consensus was made on going to organizing meetings and forming an ‘Occupy bloc’ for the general strike
Creates a sense of co-operation; can grow support among future events
Chelsea is organizing a ‘Green bloc’ outside of OE
Donna – Side conversation on having events so close together, in regards to the March of Solidarity being on Feb. 27th and the WCB action on Feb. 29th.
Worries of media portrayal – will they say OE is all over the place?
WCB action will be mentioned at the March, possibility to grow support and momentum from having the events close together

Finance – $800 in bank – we should use March on 27th to gain donations
We can make t-shirts and sell them – NAME mentioned there are 20 blank t-shirts we can use
NAMES and see if we can get buttons made for donations
We need someone to bottomline a group for t-shirts and buttons
Use humour: could get press/media
Examples: Vicileaks; I’m an extremist; I’m a terrorist; Invasion of email privacy
Visionary meeting planned for Monday, February 20th at 2:00 pm at Remedy; there will be an art build at 6:00 pm at the Greenpeace warehouse

WCB (Randall & Donna) – Starts February 29th at 12:00 – 107 Street and 99 Avenue
they had a meeting with the men who run Augustana church, which is right across the street from the front lawn of the WCB bldg. (E4C – Edmonton churches support OE)
They have permission from the church to use their land and power for the time needed; shouldn’t get confiscated or kicked off
NAME has the sound system
They still need speakers: if interested in speaking, or have a suggestion for speakers, please email Randall or Donna at: canadianinjuredworkers@gmail.com or on the website at canadianinjuredworkers.com
There will be injured workers and politicians speaking; the idea is to have the speakers rotate back and forth between the injured workers and politicians
They have 48 signatures on the petition
Trying to get as much media and exposure as possible; have tried to get onto Alberta Primetime with Jennifer Martin, but no response so far
They will be revealing a new strategy after the rally
Challenging members of WCB in court
Expose how they are government cronies
The Meredith document was signed in 1915, which supposedly signed away the right to sue, however this document cannot be located to prove the signatures; requests to view it have been made since the 1990’s
Class action lawsuit is underway
They are still adding names to the Wall of Shame, they are names of the Deceased workers however stories of them are hard to find because their names are not published
They have contacted 192 radio stations and Bob Layton, but not much media attention right now
Recommended a video to watch: “Follow the Money with Kevin Taft”, can find on YouTube
They need from OE
Signs – can make at the art build
Podium
Stretcher with dummies
Flyer night – would like to poster hospitals about 2 -3 days prior, that way they might not get taken down (NAME offered to help); have done some already but most taken down, put on poles, cars; flyers are on website, can be printed by anyone
NAME asked if we could march past WCB and put stickies on WCB as we march by on the 27th – Consensus later on was to not take this route to the march; feeling that stickies may be too confrontational and considered vandalism
NAME will be the OE speaker for the rally
Need media release done
They plan to have 12’ barricades on the east side, to protect from vandals and WCB workers who park there
Recommendation to do sandwich boards
Need someone to put together informational packages
Suggestion to do another rally on April 26th (a national rally) – good idea to have that on small piece of paper to hand out to let people there know to come back out on April 26th
Need media spokesperson
Need police liaison – NAME and see if he is willing to do that
Nestle (NAME) – on March 1 at 2:30 – Timms centre at the UofA
Chair of Nestle is getting an honorary degree
Coalition meetings coming together – those mad about the formula issue, those mad about the water markets
Need to register online to be at actual ceremony – register as an individual, no affiliation with OE
Anna is the OE rep and has been going to the meetings, can contact her to find out more
Trying to organize an alumni drive – have them get pic. with why their shamed by the action written on board
Set up with solidarity week at the UofA so should be okay
Spoof diplomas would be funny
Email the president and chancellor to express our dissent of the degree – they say there has been no uproar
May have 2 film screenings one on the 28th at 2:00 pm and the 29th in the evening, one film is the film Bottled Life
Meeting on Tuesday, February 21 at 5:00 at the International House on campus
March of Solidarity (NAME) – March is Monday, February 27th at 5:30 pm
Meeting at Melcor park and marching to legislature to have a candle light vigil in solidarity with Occupy worldwide
Consensus reached to contact Melcor and let know we will be meeting there and hopefully get permission – will stress how it would be safer for us to be in the park than on the sidewalks and only for an hour –NAMES on Tuesday
Consensus reached to not contact the police – but NAME will ask Daniel to be the police liaison for this event too
Mic check at the park and PA at the legislature – NAME will take care of the mic check
Discussed route of march – discussed idea of marching past WCB and posting notes, consensus made not to march past WCB – route will be down Jasper Avenue to 105 and then to legislature
Speakers at the legislature – Jenn will do the welcoming
NAME offered to take care of the reflection part – remembering those who have suffered during the protests all around the world and the press release
Ideas on community speakers/leaders to have speak: Rachel Naughtly
Communications group and action group will be contacted to get things going there
Minute taker had to leave GA

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/general-assembly-minutes-february-18-2012/

Feb
15

Talk of the Town: Occupy Edmonton Re-Surfaces

Alberta PrimeTime

More than two months have passed since Occupy Edmonton’s eviction from its downtown camp, but the movement has re-surfaced at the University of Alberta campus.

The latest occupation protests rising tuition, student debt and what the camp is calling, “corporatization of education”.
How do students fit into the 99 per cent? How long will they pursue their latest protest? Are people still listening to the Occupy message?

We talk to Anna McRobbie, representing Occupy Edmonton.

http://www.albertaprimetime.com/Headlines.aspx?pd=3294

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/talk-of-the-town-occupy-edmonton-re-surfaces/

Feb
15

General Assembly Minutes – February 11, 2012

Agenda Saturday February 11th 2012 minutes

Intro – Many new faces so we had an introduction for everyone

Updates – This GA was recorded a contact sheet was handed out and we will get a copy of the video.  It is being compiled for a film festival

U of A update
- Presence of University security reported to have tripled since the February 2nd protest
- This has caused for some discontent among students
- Education needed around faculty cutbacks and rising tuition fees
- Nestle getting an honorary degree, we are working with student groups and other organizations (council of canadians)
-Nestle well known for their union busting tactics, student union support needed
- Solidarity week is coming up, we should go for information exchange
- Occupy needs to work on cleaning up its image, and to alleviate and misconceptions students have about the occupy movement
- NVDA training and workshops needed (non violent direct action)
-Theatrical Protest being organized more help needed

Castle Logging
- Tuesday 16th @ Lunch, possibly filming an artistic protest with a clear message
- Media spokes needed
- Call MLA ask for seat in Legislature for Monday 15th or Wednesday 17th arrive before 1 pm

Community Garden Project
- U of A being looked at as a possible location
- Community Garden exists there already
- Student group exists around gardening but needs more student support
- Contact Greater Edmonton Food Alliances for support
- Landshare.net has some free land for agriculture available
- Boil Street Shelter might be able to offer financial aid for project
- Food blog website proposed

Web Blog
- Title, “Reclaim the Schools”
- Creation of a website which highlights student uprising and struggles from across the world in relation to student debt and high tuition fees
- Website should also have updated accurate information about the specific situation at the U of A
- This will be a huge undertaking much help will be needed to put it together
- Proposed we use the Arab spring uprising timeline on the website as well (which has already been compiled)
- Anyone with web developing skills wanted

Camp Update
-Gear will be coming soon from Mountain Equipment co-op
-Old camp gear needs to be sorted through
-Other gear still needs to be taken from police custody, list of items has gone missing

Grant Mac discussion forum
-Graphic Designers needed
-Grant Mac Student action group being formed
-ideas and energy needed

Sharing Circle / Art Build
-Greenpeace Warehouse Sun Feb 11 @ 2pm – 5 or later

Communications
-We need to get the word out about our meetings more effectively
-Skype Meeting Sun Feb 12th @ 8pm

March for Murdered/Missing woman in Edmonton
-Sacred Heart Church 111ave & 95th street (not exact address)

Mayday
-Concern expressed that we were going to brand mayday with an occupy label and try to make it our day
-Occupy needs to be there in solidarity and not try to overtake it
-Some representatives were picked to go to the planning meetings

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/general-assembly-minutes-february-7-2012-2/

Feb
15

Vue Weekly: Necessary research

The University of Alberta has the capability to ban and remove people from its property. It’s a part of the legislation and bylaws that all universities in Alberta operate under. The institution’s properties are private. The University has its own security force, colloquially known as Campus 5-0. And, to get into the minutiae of policing, the University of Alberta has numerous rules and bylaws governing risk management—an entire department exists to ensure the university is not sued for anything that happens on its property. In order to hold an event such as a barbecue, students have to fill out form after form and make assurances nothing will go wrong. The idea that a university campus is where freedom of expression bubbles forth from an unending fountain of youth and spontaneity is a gross misrepresentation of the regulations, restrictions and general fear of risking funding and attention that encompasses many campuses today. When Occupy Edmonton attempted to hold a protest on the U of A campus last Wednesday, they walked right into this culture of rules, regulations and fear, and were greeted by a wall of police officers preventing the group from even getting on campus.
The U of A is not the first university to remove undesirable protesters from its property. The University of Calgary decided to oust anti-gay protester Bill Whatcott in 2005 and 2008. Whatcott then successfully brought the university to court stating his Charter rights had been violated. And they had. This past November a provincial court ruled Whatcott, a non-student, non-alumni, had his Charter rights violated when he was removed from campus in handcuffs.
The Occupy movement, and those students and faculty attempting public protest, should consider the success of this challenge. Across the country Occupiers have been thrown out of public and private parks. The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is currently working to call attention to the fact the removal of protesters has been done against their Charter right to freedom of assembly and expression and stated their concern in a submission to the UN special rapporteur on freedom of peaceful assembly and association. It looks like universities can be added to that state of concern.
In preventing protesters from gaining access to its property the University may have been attempting to teach protesters a lesson in the rules of proper protest on it’s hallowed grounds, but here’s hoping the administration is forced to do a bit more research into its own responsibility to uphold public discussion even when it doesn’t occur within its own culture of rules and regulations.

 

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/vue-weekly-necessary-research/

Feb
13

Action Alert for Canada Post Employee

ACTION ALERT IN SUPPORT OF NICK DREIDGER:

On February 1, Occupy Edmonton, in cooperation with U of A students, attempted to protest high fees and tuition increases on campus but were blocked by Edmonton police. At one point in the protest, a postal worker and CUPW shop steward, drove by and honked his horn in support of the students and Occupy.

The postal worker who honked his horn has been terminated from work. His termination was based on four spurious reasons: 1) “attitude” to police (even though he stopped honking his horn when asked), 2) a ticket for “stunting” in a vehicle (honking his horn), 3) being out of his delivery area, and 4) activity on a wildcat strike when he was on vacation.

In reality, Nick Dreidger is being targeted by Canada Post Corporation management for his participation in effective union activity that has forced CPC to recognize fundamental rights of workers to health and safety.

The plan for Monday night and Tuesday is to fill Canada Post Corporation’s managers’ email inboxes with letters of outrage over the conduct of firing this worker based on these flimsy charges. This kind of pressure on employers has won workers their jobs back in many cases and we can do it for Nick Dreidger.

Thank you, solidarity, and let’s fight to win. An injury to one is an injury to all.

On Monday night and Tuesday during the day, please begin sending emails and letters to the following people in response to Nick Dreidger’s termination.

Wesam Haymour
- Title: SPT TRANSPORTATION
- Location: 9808 103 A AVE, T5J 2T6
- Email: wesam.haymour@canadapost.postescanada.ca

Brenda Young
-Title MGR SHIFT
-Location:12135 149 ST, T5L 5H2 Edmonton
-Email: brenda.young@canadapost.postescanada.ca

Robert Mccutcheon
- Title DIR PLANT OPERATIONS
- Location: 12135 149 ST T5L 5H2Edmonton
- Email: ben.mccutcheon@canadapost.postescanada.ca

Azam Bacchus
- Title: OFFICER OF LABOUR RELATIONS
- Location: 12135- 149 ST T5L 5H2 Edmonton
- Email: azam.bacchus@canadapost.postescanada.ca

SAMPLE LETTER:

To: ________________

I am writing out of concern over the recent treatment of Shop Steward Nick Driedger, who has recently been dismissed. It is my understanding that Mr. Nick Driedger advances the welfare and safety of his fellow workers in this role.

It is hard to believe that someone as honest, positive, and hard working as Nick should be dismissed, especially in light of the charge discussed below.Mr Nick Driedger has been accused of “stunting,” a charge of which he has not been found guilty.

According to eyewitness testimony, he was merely honking his horn, which could only make him more visible as he drove through an area with many police and protestors.

Also, according to eyewitnesses, he ceased after hearing shouting from the officers in question. The eyewitness testimony in his favour is substantial, and it is disturbing that Canada Post Corporation would find Nick Driedger guilty in advance of the verdict of a court of law.

I, ____________________ request that Nick Driedger be reinstated as a full time mail service courier with no harm to his seniority.

I also request that any targeting of him due to his activities as a CUPW shop steward come to an immediate end.

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/action-alert-for-canada-post-employee/

Feb
07

General Assembly Minutes – February 7, 2012

Agenda

Announcements

-U of A-student support -banner drops
rally on March 1st/2nd
Occupy being a supportive presence

-Banner Drop-yo!
-tomorrow at U of A SUB

-Action meeting – 8pm, weds – Skype – grimacetv

-WCB Update- NAME – Feb 29th – March 2, rallies at noon each day
-Wall of Shame – art build
-NAME
-lots of money missing
-solidarity squad – can join online
-lots o potential
-Tents possibly being used depending on numbers
-need contacts at AFL, AUPE, unions?

-Comms Update – Videos online of university rep stating that students
not allowed to protest on                       campus. How can we use them?
-meeting on Sunday at 8pm on Skype, grimacetv

Announcements

-Grant MacEwan Forum- possibly March?

-ListServe

-CTS Media – NAME

-Castle Logging Rally – Tues, Feb 14, 12-1pm Rally at Legislature
-flashoccupation
-testing ground for reoccupation
-blockaders have winter camping skills

-OWS – winter camping equipment is here (some of it!!)

-Police Station Stuff Retrieval- NAME has list
-NAME  has vehicle
-NAME will help
i <3 you guys!!!

-Credit Unions- Servus elections / director NAME

-Radical Cheerleader Squad

Proposals

Action – Banner Drops – tomorrow?

Reoccupation – March 15th?? where would we do it?

U of A Break out Group

Castle Logging Proposal –NAME is bottomlining
-bringing to Weds, action meeting
-for Rally, Tues Feb 14th

Radical Cheerleader Squad – NAME is interested in – 2 practices before
March 1st rally

Rhythms of Resistance – NAME needs drums

Sharing Circle – Sunday at 2pm, at EPL – NAME will book room

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/general-assembly-minutes-february-7-2012/

Feb
07

General Assembly Minutes. February 4, 2012

General Assembly
February 4th, 2012

Agenda
Updates
Forum
Comms
Cheques

Announcements
Meeting at 4 pm at the U of A campus
Tuesday, GA meeting at Grant MacEwan at 6:30
Monday at 2 pm, Chilean Student Activist speaker at the U of A in the Telus Bldg., Rooms 236 /238
Legislature opening day is February 7
Fix the listserve
WCB Protest on February 28, 29, 30

Brainstorming
Solidarity March for February 27 – Anonymous sponsored in support of Occupy
Debate with Indira
Outreach with the UofA

Proposals
UofA Mtg. Monday at 4pm
ReOccupation
Deliver Petition to the Legislature
Pick up Occupy stuff at the Police Station
Caterpillar Action
Updates
Forum – event at the Uof A next week, date to be determined but possibly Feb. 8th
Cover topics such as: Why Occupy the UofA, this is an important topic
What is it to Occupy, philosophical discussion
He has heard some thoughts on postponing it a week to gather more people
Daniel can bottom-line if the event is next week, but after the 9th he will be out of the country, so someone else will have to bottom-line if postponed until week after
Let NAME know if you would like to help bottom-line
Comms (NAMES) – There has been a lot of press from the Uof A action on Wednesday, there are stories and videos posted on the Facebook site
The event has given Occupy Edmonton a lot of attention
NAME will need to step back from comms for the next week and a half due to mid-term exams, she will be back by reading week
Whoever can help fill NAMEs responsibilities while she is away need to publicize the meetings, this is really important
It was agreed that advance notice of meetings is a good idea for more participation
NAME said that the video of OE leaving a message to Protective Services was sent to the media and emailed to NAME
Cheques (NAMES is sick right now
NAME was there when NAME picked up the new cheques
He hopes they go through this time as they have not the past two times
Daniel added that we shouldn’t deposit them until we know what to spend the money on
Word is that NAME has gone to the store and purchased stuff already, possibly photos of the stuff purchased

Announcements
Meeting at 4pm on Monday, February 6th, at the UofA, Bldg. 2B
=
Meeting is to co-ordinate with the UofA students, as they are planning their own events as well
Tuesday, Feb. 7th, the General Assembly will be held at Grant MacEwan, Cafeteria in Bldg. 6, at 6:30pm
Monday, February 6th, at 2:00pm – Chilean speaker at the UofA campus, Telus bldg., Rooms 236/238
Speaker is going to talk about how Chile overcame the government and got the free tuition they were fighting for
WCB Protest – planned for February 27 to 29- Occupying the WCB to support injured workers. NAME is bottom lining this protest
Legislature opening on February 7 – Plan to deliver a petition to the Minister, demanding the government to stop the budget cuts
= Bottom liner needed – NAME offered to bottom-line
Question, has the EFL been contacted?

Brainstorming
Solidarity March on Feb. 27 (Jenn) – Saw video Anonymous posted, they are propping a Solidarity March all over the world, to show solidarity for Occupy everywhere
The idea is to meet at the original site of occupation and march to the local parliament grounds, and hold a candle light vigil to show support
WCB protest is happening the same day
Legislature may or may not be sitting that day; depends on the budget (NAME is involved in the govt. so if anyone has questions about the legislature, we can ask her)
This idea needs more concrete plans; NAME will bottom-line it with help from Katie; will come back to GA with more concrete plans
Indira Debate –
Idea is to have Indira present for an open forum for discussion on what her views are towards free education, considering she is from Sri Lanka, a country that offers free education
If she doesn’t show up, we could put a potted plant in her place or a person with an Indira mask
University should fight ideas with ideas; ask her to come and engage, the president should do that
She could also send a substitute if she can’t make it for some reason
Debaters should be students and OE members
Point of interest – Don’t expect it to be easy
Point of interest – Indira is a puppet, rep. of the elite, question could be is the University for everyone, or only the elite
Gives her a chance to define her position in regards to free education
Google group discussion is needed
Discussion lead to decision that it should be more of a roundtable/town hall meeting than a debate; more collaborative than confrontational
We should involve as many post-secondary institutes as we can, call out to different students and different leaders
Open invitation
We should identify allies; a good ally would be the Professor (name unknown) that was dealt with the budget planning and resigned from doing so, he would have a lot of good facts
UofA – reach out to different bodies at the UofA, such as student groups and faculty groups
Some groups who weren’t interested in Occupy may be interested now, after what happened on Wednesday
Reach out to all post-sec outside UofA too; working students and trade students
Student solidarity = Important; education actions involve all campuses
Agreed that combining the round table/town hall with reach out is way to go
NAME has been in contact with David Hancock, former Minister of Education
For further Action group discussion – Highway/Overpass bannering (NAME) – We need to reclaim the media
Idea is to hang banners off every overpass and to include the website on the banners so those interested can look up information further
NAME suggested a new media marketing idea using the QR codes, having a type of URL hunt for the message; there could be a map to direct people to different areas in the City for information
Suggestion to form a committee; try to do thing within legal limits, if financially reasonable, that way less chance of banners being taken down
Another idea was to have banners with balloons on them and two people walking with it up and down the middle meridians during rush hour
NAME suggested the idea of using projectors; legal, simple, no permit would be needed; projecting onto the sides of the bldg.’s downtown would be easy and effective, we all see the large Christmas trees that are on the sides during the winter season
Banners need to be simple, powerful messages, to challenge the way of everyday thinking
More discussion will be made during an Action group meeting, which NAME will arrange
Proposals
Uof A – potential March 1st rally – future actions are needed to be considered, it will be good to continue the momentum,
Rethink what Occupy means, not necessarily need to camp to occupy
Tents/tent monsters/tent drops/paper tents with messages on them (done in Boston) = provocation
Occupy classrooms – sit-in’s, teach-in’s
If we decide to set up tents again, we need to make sure it is for the right reasons, the space is important, not the tent
Use the tents strategically and appropriately, for instance, if protesting lack of shelter for the homeless, reoccupy the land that ‘tent city’ was located a few years back
***Great idea thought of – Tent Fashion show!!**
Reoccupation March – March 15, 2012 – International day of *unknown*; possibly to celebrate 6 month anniversary of Occupy…details are shady
Deliver petition to the Legislature – NAME is bottom lining with NAME
She will put it together and announce it on Tuesday
Pick up Stuff at the Police station – it has been ready for months, needs to be picked up
Caterpillar action – Bridget is working on outside of Occupy, but would like Occupy’s support in the action
Right to work action, Indiana has enacted anti-union legislation, which has caused the company, Caterpillar to move their plants to Indiana, laying off over 400 workers in Canada to do so
Details: Caterpillar was given a huge, no strings attached tax-cut from the Canadian government and then turned around and closed their plants in Canada – no reason to do this except they can pay workers less in Indiana
This is going to be a nation-wide action
Consensus made to support the action

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/general-assembly-minutes-february-4-2012/

Feb
03

General Assembly Minutes – February 2, 2012

Occupy Edmonton
Meeting in the Dark, oooooh scary
Minutes Feb 2

March Debrief

positives
-outreach!
-media coordination/smart media strategy
-getting students to chant/join
-solidarity from yesterday
-made police nervous
-lawyers

negatives

-speakers
-more chants
-sign up sheets ready before
-more visible Occupy presence
-go to admin/Uhall as well
-deescalation training

Future steps
-focus on changing Students Union
-capture twitter addresses
-need media/internet person to post updates/photos/vids
-meetings go smoother

Next Occupy Steps

-March 15th – reOccupation day
-tie in to election
-clear deadlines are good for action
-keep pressure on – recruitment
-actions on campus – need to get students there – banner drops/balloon
banners

-Rally on Campus -have one person set up tent
-petition about supporting Occupy’s right to be on campus
-stickers – students only, no public allowed
-date?? March 1st – march for free tuition on march 1st
-recruitment
-Feb 6-7th
-Mic Check – SU elections debate – March 6th
-meeting – -Int’l house- Mon 3-8pm – Sammi
-art build -

Reoccupy WCB Feb 29th

-Dodgeball tournament!!

-petition to Leg on opening day-
-Feb  7th

Training – IWW – Miro can bottomline
-Media training
-deescalation
-facilitation
-nonviolent communication
Forum

Feb. 8th potential date.
Topic:
Radicalizing research?
Why Occupy campus?
Historical speaker (What campus’ were setup to do).
2 speakers on cross-over themes btn occupy and student issues (debt,
corpratization)
1 personal example of why I’m a student and why I occupy.
Potential speakers – NAME may know prof. Speakers.
Organizing committee: NAMES

Training
IWW training –
Facilitation –
NVDA/Media –
Anti-O –
Decolonizing yourself –

Art build:
Art Sunday 4:00 at the warehouse.

Petition delivery
Feb. 7th legislature
Bottomliner:NAME

University about free speech online petition
NAME will draft

-Outreach to older generations

-Macewan Initiative??

-signage –  use names and faces of those on the board

-Solidarity Week – get an Occupy discussion

Updates:
-OWS cheques are in !! baby i got your money money

Permanent link to this article: http://occupyedmonton.org/2012/02/general-assembly-minutes-february-2-2012/

Older posts «

» Newer posts

"; echo $r; }